Aims and Ethos
We want our children to achieve our STAR Expectations and succeed in life within an ever changing world.
We want our children to be ready for the next stage of their education personally and academically.
When our children move on from us, we want them to be:
Our STAR Expectations:
At Cavendish Close Infant and Nursery School, we are all stars.
Together, every day, we reach for the stars.
Together, we can all shine.
Our 8 Behaviour Values:
- We show respect to everyone.
- We choose kindness.
- We remember to use good manners.
- We do what adults ask us to do.
- We show respect to everything.
- We know how to feel calm and ready to learn.
- We make safe, healthy and happy choices.
- We are Attendance HEROs (Here Every day Ready On time).
Our 10 Learning Values:
- We think of good ideas.
- We think of different ways to do things.
- We are confident to try challenges.
- We learn from mistakes.
- We always try our best.
- We are resilient, we keep on trying.
- We enjoy finding out and exploring.
- We ask clever questions.
Sparks the Cat
- We ask for help when we need it.
- We are happy to teach our friends.
Our Core Purpose:
Our children are all unique. They have big hearts and great energy.
All of our children are stars and we find and nurture their strengths.
Our children have fun loving personalities and they like to talk about their experiences. They thrive with our routines and expectations.
Our children deserve the best and we are committed to enabling them to be the best that they can be.
Some of our children present us with barriers to their development and learning. We are committed to working in partnership with our parents and carers as well as the local community to meet the needs of our children.
All of our children deserve quality time and interaction with the key adults in their lives.
We are committed to developing high aspirations within our school community. We provide all of our children with rich and varied experiences.
To enable our children to succeed in life, we have STAR Expectations and we work towards our 8 Behaviour Values and 10 Learning Values.
Together, we can all shine.
At our school…
We create indoor and outdoor environments that are…
- Positive and happy
- Safe and calm
- Inviting, stimulating and engaging
We are committed to developing high quality continuous provision with accessible, relevant and open ended resources that promote enquiry based learning.
We expect the adults in our school to…
- Have high expectations
- Be effective communicators
- Build strong relationships
- Connect to children’s lives and interests
- Make every child feel valued
- Model self-awareness and self-regulation
- Be calm and patient
- Be positive and consistent
- Be nurturing and encouraging
- Be empathetic and responsive
- Model our STAR Expectations, our Behaviour Values and our Learning Values.
We motivate our children to learn by…
- Planning learning topics that are relevant and exciting with meaningful reasons to read, write and be numerate across the curriculum.
- Bringing subjects to life, enjoy being Historians, Artists etc.
- Connecting learning to our children’s lives and interests.
- Finding the story in learning (People, Places, Problems and Possibilities).
- Ensuring that learning has:
- a HOOK (a wow starter)
- a PURPOSE (a challenge)
- and an AUDIENCE
- Valuing the process of learning as well as the outcome.
- Giving our children the time and space to learn in greater depth.
- Enabling our children to make choices in their learning.
- Helping our children to work independently and collaboratively using their communication and social skills.
- Creating enabling environments with relevant and interesting resources.
Our School Pedagogy can be found in our Teaching and Learning Handbook.